The Bagouria Barrage is one of the most important establishments that were built in the field of irrigation engineering in the governorate of Menoufia during the reign of Khedive Ismail in 1281 AH/ 1864 AD. The Bagouria Barrage consists of five openings with semi-circular arches. It is noted that the Barrage arches are based on stone pillars separated from each other by openings equipped with iron gates used to open and close the barrage. On the left of the barrage, from the eastern side, there is a lock dedicated to the passage of ships and boats on the Bagouria canal. The Bagouria Barrage contributed to the development of irrigation and agriculture system in Menoufia through supplying the agricultural lands with summer irrigation water and improving the navigation system in the Bagouria Canal. Most notably is the large number of the Nilometers which were established in the vicinity of the Bagouria Barrage for defining the flood level and the necessary balances of the Bagouria Barrage. In addition, the artistic and decorative elements that adorn the Bagouria Barrage are rare because of the nature of the construction that is located in the middle of one of the waterways, The research ends with a table showing the architectural, technical and structural terms used in the research, then the most important results and recommendations followed by a list of the sources and references consulted, and a catalog which includes the illustrative figures and plates used
Badr, Dr. Badr Abdelaziz
"The Bagouria Barrage 1281 AH / 1864 AD An Archaeological Architectural Study,"
Journal of the General Union of Arab Archaeologists: Vol. 4
, Article 1.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.aaru.edu.jo/jguaa/vol4/iss1/1